There are a lot of services an MSP can sell its customers, but almost every MSP includes BDR services as one of its core offerings. For this month’s product review, Business Solutions once again turned to MSP Remote Technology Management (RTM). CEO Eric Brown and Technical Manager Kevin Danis tested seven BDR solutions in their Massachusetts test lab over a two-week period, investing more than 40 hours. True to RTM’s conclusion when it tested RMM (remote monitoring and management) products for our January issue, Brown says, “There is no single solution that meets every MSP’s needs perfectly.” To that end, we share highlights of RTM’s tests of the following vendors: Asigra, Axcient, CharTec, Datto, KineticD, StorageCraft, and Unitrends. The MSP met with key product experts from each of the above vendor companies and went through the onboarding process with each one.
1. Do you offer cloud storage?
2. If yes, what is the monthly cost to your partner for file storage?
Depending on model storage is included and additional storage can be bought for 9¢ per GB as well as thirty days of continuous off-site virtualization per year included in every device.
3. Do you support virtual machine (VM) functionality in the cloud?
Yes, all backups are stored in VMDKs (virtual machine disks) so they are ready to boot at all times.
4. If yes, what is the monthly cost for VM storage?
No extra charge.
5. How is your product priced?
Device cost plus a single monthly fee that includes agents, storage, warranty and service.
6. Are there any other services available with your backup and disaster recovery solution that VARs/MSPs can purchase?
The following are included:
7. Do you offer mobile device backup services?
8. What type of direct VM Export do you support?
VMDK (virtual machine disk) and VHD (virtual hard disk) exporting supported with no conversion required; VM teleportation included at no additional charge.
11. Can your product be purchased as a HaaS (hardware as a service) offering?
12. Can your product be purchased as a SaaS (Software as a Service) offering?
13. What type of local backup does your solution offer: image-based or file-based?
Image-based backups saved as VMDK open file format
14. Is there anything else about your backup/restore technology and/or channel program that differentiates your product from your competitors that can be listed succinctly here?
No contract required, automatic local virtualization testing (Screenshot Verification), bit level deduplication (ShadowSnap), Datto Inverse Backup Chain (ShadowSnap), 100% U.S.-based technical support, complimentary device seeding.
After reviewing this product, describe your overall assessment.
Customer service is excellent when it comes to the appliance and the backup agent. All answers were correct and received quickly via their ticket system (accessible to only the reseller), and they have a well-documented knowledge base, which is also accessible to the reseller only. The support fell short when it came to backups involving Apple. Datto supports an AFP share functionality to enable it as a TimeMachine backup target. It took sever tickets and escalations to get the AFP share accessible to the Mac agent.