Smart Storage Solutions Enable Midsize Organizations To Accelerate Growth, Increase Simplicity, And Leverage The Cloud
NetApp Unveils New Low-Cost FAS2220 and Expands Partner Cloud Ecosystem to Help Midsize Businesses Start Right, Keep It Simple, and Grow Smart
Sunnyvale, Calif. — Midsize businesses face the challenge of keeping pace with growing demands while managing the volume of data being generated, all with limited IT resources and budget. Building on a simple, flexible, and efficient IT infrastructure enables the agility required to help midsize businesses capitalize on this data growth to drive their success and create a competitive advantage. As a result, the decisions midsize businesses make about their storage foundation play a critical role in their future success.
NetApp’s new (NASDAQ: NTAP) FAS2220, which starts at under $8,000, is the latest member of its entry-level product portfolio and builds on the momentum and success of the recently introduced FAS2240. Already an established leader in the midsize market, with more than 10,000 customers turning to NetApp each year for their storage needs, the new FAS2220 delivers innovative new technologies and increased value that enable midsize businesses to:
- Start right by providing more performance and software value than traditional entry-level storage systems
- Keep it simple by delivering increased performance without increasing deployment or management complexity
- Grow smart by leveraging existing storage investments and easily adding new capabilities to meet changing needs
NetApp also unveiled an expanding ecosystem of value-added reseller (VAR) partners to provide midsize businesses with cloud backup and disaster recovery services built on NetApp® along with new channel enablement programs to help partners expand their business.
Enhanced Portfolio Provides Powerful, Simple, and Flexible Platform
- NetApp’s FAS2220 leverages new NetApp Flash Pool technology to provide an unmatched combination of performance and value to help midsize businesses start right and stretch their dollars. Flash Pools, which extend NetApp’s Virtual Storage Tier approach to the midsize market, enable customers to accelerate application performance and are simple to implement and operate “out of the box.” Flash Pool technology also seamlessly integrates with NetApp’s industry-leading suite of nine storage efficiency technologies to help customers increase utilization and reduce power costs. NetApp is the only vendor offering this unique intelligent caching approach in the entry-level storage market.
- The new NetApp OnCommand® System Manager 2.1 helps simplify, control, and automate both setup and ongoing management of NetApp storage. This tool allows customers to improve their storage and service efficiency, boost productivity, and reduce the impact of storage management on IT resources.
- The FAS2200 series runs on the latest version of the Data ONTAP® operating system to provide a truly unified, scalable architecture that enables customers to easily and affordably upgrade to higher-end systems and new capabilities without needing forklift upgrades. Data ONTAP also provides “cluster-ready” capabilities, enabling midsize customers to seamlessly add storage capacity as needed to their shared infrastructures with no downtime.
VAR Ecosystem Helps Midsize Businesses Leverage the Cloud
- According to a recent study done by Enterprise Storage Group,1 74% of all midsize businesses will increase expenditures on cloud services in 2012. NetApp is working closely with select VAR partners to deliver data protection as a service (DPaaS) to help customers start right and grow smart. DPaaS enables customers to better protect their business from lost productivity, revenue, and goodwill associated with data loss and downtime.
- DPaaS is a logical first step into cloud services for many midsize businesses because it delivers powerful disk-based recovery and second-site failover functionality typically enjoyed by large enterprises at a fraction of the cost of traditional disk-based solutions. And with the ability to pay as they go, decision makers with DPaaS can optimally align IT spending to the growth of the business.
- DPaaS maximizes the effectiveness of limited administrative resources because it is simple to initiate and easier to maintain than legacy tape protection infrastructures. By moving to DPaaS, administrators can eliminate onerous tape management tasks, restore data in minutes versus hours or days, and leverage experienced support teams and monitoring tools to help save valuable time and resources.
New Programs Enable Channel Partners to Accelerate Business Growth
- The GetSuccessful™ Cloud Services Program provides reseller partners with industry-leading support and connects them with NetApp’s ecosystem of cloud service providers to help them transform their business to capitalize on the cloud service opportunity.
- Additional programs, promotions, and financing offers provided by NetApp specifically help NetApp resellers help existing customers make the transition from their legacy NetApp storage platform to the new FAS2200 portfolio. As a result, resellers have more to offer their customers and can increase their business opportunities by offering services.
- NetApp will participate in VMware’s ‘Real World Advantage’ campaign. The campaign provides VARs with various joint sales and marketing tools to help them accelerate sales opportunities and generate leads for VMware® and NetApp solutions with midsize customers.
- Bob Schoen, senior vice president of Information Technology for Digital Insurance
“Digital Insurance has experienced 50% growth in the past year and we realized that our storage infrastructure needed to be able to seamlessly expand with our needs. Transitioning to a NetApp solution, which includes a FAS2240, has significantly streamlined our overall IT infrastructure and enabled us to maximize our resources thanks to the increased efficiencies, performance, and value. With NetApp our IT staff is able to spend less time focused on our storage infrastructure and instead apply valuable resources and time to other parts of the business to help provide our customers with the service they’ve come to expect.”
- Julie Eades, vice president, Global SMB Marketing, VMware
“VMware is pleased to share a common vision and strategy with NetApp to deliver affordable and robust solutions and cloud services to our midsize customers. Additionally, VMware and NetApp will continue to partner with our joint service providers and channel partners to deliver solutions and cloud services that are simple, efficient, and flexible to serve as a foundation for our midsize customers to grow their businesses now and in the future.”
- Brian Babineau, vice president, Research and Analyst Services, Enterprise Strategy Group
“The demands on midsize businesses continue to increase, which makes the IT infrastructure they build on as important as ever. The right infrastructure can provide midsize businesses with the flexibility required to adjust to their changing environment and grow their business along with the efficiency to help keep costs down. We see cloud services as another key layer to the IT infrastructure as they enable midsize businesses to maximize limited resources, pay only for the service levels they need, and easily expand as their business needs grow.”
- Julie Parrish, senior vice president of Worldwide Partner Sales, NetApp
“There is no question that midsize businesses are making the transition to cloud-based solutions and value-added resellers will play an important role in helping to address this customer need. NetApp is providing our partners with a unique opportunity to be part of an ecosystem that will enable them to strengthen their customer relationships, build profitable new revenue streams, and take advantage of industry-leading enablement programs designed to help them transform their business to capitalize on the cloud.”
- Manish Goel, executive vice president of Products, NetApp
“The growth of data and an ever-expanding competitive landscape combined with limited budgets and resources means that midsize businesses must make smart decisions when it comes to their IT infrastructure. The enhanced FAS2200 platform provides customers with the simplicity, flexibility, performance, and value they need while delivering a storage foundation that they can build on with confidence to achieve business success.”
Availability and Pricing
The FAS2220 will start at under $8,000. It will be available on June 12, 2012, through NetApp’s worldwide network of value-added authorized resellers, distributors, and systems integrators. DPaaS is available now through select NetApp VAR partners.
- Learn more about how NetApp is helping midsize organizations address today’s data challenges:
- NetApp solutions for government and education organizations: http://www.netapp.com/us/solutions/midsize/government/
- Watch how midsize business can rope in their spending on data with the new FAS2200 series: http://www.netapp.com/us/library/videos
- Read more about how NetApp is helping midsize business address today’s growing storage demands on the new NetApp 360 Blog: http://nt-ap.com/netapp360
- Learn more about how midsize businesses can leverage the cloud in the IDC executive brief, sponsored by NetApp, "It's Time for Mid-Sized Firms to Leverage Cloud Computing Capabilities: Key Next Steps," May 2012: http://www.netapp.com/us/library/analyst-reports/
- Connect with NetApp experts and storage enthusiasts in the NetApp Community: http://communities.netapp.com
- Follow NetApp on Twitter: www.twitter.com/NetApp, #midsizebiz
- Join NetApp on Facebook: www.facebook.com/NetApp
- View NetApp videos on YouTube: www.youtube.com/NetAppTV
- Connect with NetApp on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com
1Enterprise Storage Group, “Market Report: Cloud Integrated Storage,” April 2012.
NetApp creates innovative storage and data management solutions that accelerate business breakthroughs and deliver outstanding cost efficiency. Discover NetApp’s passion for helping companies around the world go further, faster at www.netapp.com.