There are a lot of services an MSP can sell its customers, but almost every MSP includes BDR services as one of its core offerings. For this month’s product review, Business Solutions once again turned to MSP Remote Technology Management (RTM). CEO Eric Brown and Technical Manager Kevin Danis tested seven BDR solutions in their Massachusetts test lab over a two-week period, investing more than 40 hours. True to RTM’s conclusion when it tested RMM (remote monitoring and management) products for our January issue, Brown says, “There is no single solution that meets every MSP’s needs perfectly.” To that end, we share highlights of RTM’s tests of the following vendors: Asigra, Axcient, CharTec, Datto, KineticD, StorageCraft, and Unitrends. The MSP met with key product experts from each of the above vendor companies and went through the onboarding process with each one.
1. Do you offer cloud storage?
No. Asigra does not offer cloud storage
2. If yes, what is the monthly cost to your partner for file storage?
3. Do you offer virtual machine (VM) functionality in the cloud?
Yes. Asigra cloud backup and recovery software known as Asigra Cloud Backup™ is designed specifically for service providers who leverage the software to offer VM storage in the cloud.
4. If yes, what is the monthly cost for VM storage?
Asigra partners set their own pricing and margins.
5. How is your product priced? (e.g. per agent, per device)
Agentless Asigra backup and recovery software licenses are priced per compressed and deduplicated capacity, and based on the age of the backup data.
6. Are there any other services available with your backup and disaster recovery solution that VARs/MSPs can purchase? If so, please list.
Asigra offers all partners the opportunity to purchase training services for their team as well as product training packages for their customers. Vault replication is also available to enable cloud-to-cloud replication.
7. Do you offer mobile device backup services?
Yes. Asigra partners can back up laptops, tablets, and smartphones.
8. If yes, which mobile operating systems can you back up (e.g. iOS, Android, Windows 8, Mac OS)?
Asigra cloud backup and recovery software supports Android, iOS, MAC OS, Windows 8.
9. Is there anything different about the cost structure for your mobile backups? If so, please list.
Yes, the cost of the software license is much less for protecting mobile devices only.
10. What type of direct VM Export do you support? (e.g. VMware VirtualCenter, Microsoft Hyper-V, Oracle VirtualBox, Citrix XenServer)
Asigra supports VMware, Hyper-V, and Citrix XenServer.
11. Can your product be purchased as a HaaS (hardware as a service) offering?
12. Can your product be purchased as a SaaS (Software as a Service) offering?
Yes, Asigra Cloud Backup can be deployed as a private, hybrid, or public cloud depending on the client’s requirements.
13. What type of local backup does your solution offer: image-based or file-based?
Asigra offers both file-based and image-based backup architectures enabling partners to select the best approach for different use cases. This applies to both local and remote backups.
14. Is there anything else about your backup/restore technology and/or channel program that differentiates your product from your competitors that can be listed succinctly here?
Asigra is 100% channel focused; therefore, we have an extensive partner program for MSPs and VARs who leverage Asigra Cloud Backup™ software to offer a backup and recovery service to SMBs and Enterprises. The program includes sales and marketing support, turnkey lead generation materials such as webinar in a box, website in a box, emails, co-branding marketing materials, training, deal registration discounts, partner portal, dedicated partner sales manager, etc. Best of all, Asigra partners set their own pricing and margins to control their own destiny.
After reviewing this product, describe your overall assessment.
Asigra has the most thorough onboarding process out of all the BDRs we reviewed. Their program takes 90 days from start to finish and includes partner support such as assistance writing a business plan, generating marketing collateral, and education about specific vertical markets. Another differentiator with this company is that they’re the only one we tested that can back up mobile devices. This company seems like a good fit for a VAR/MSP that’s just getting started or looking for a lot of hands-on assistance growing their business.