CA ARCserve r16.5 Expands Protection Of Virtual Servers, Simplifies Essential Backup And Disaster Recovery Operations
New Remote Virtual Standby, Host-Based VM Backup Replication and Cascading Failover Reduce Business System Downtime
ISLANDIA, NY—CA Technologies (NASDAQ: CA) today announced new enhancements to its CA ARCserve® data protection solution that simplify backup and disaster recovery for physical and virtual server environments, while significantly improving performance, scalability and flexibility.
The new release adds key new replication and virtualization capabilities for improved business continuity—making it ideally suited to small- and medium-sized businesses, as well as service providers seeking to quickly build or add to their data protection portfolios. Enhancements include:
- Expanded Virtualization Support. CA ARCserve provides both VM-level and host-level backups for VMware servers, and it offers VM-level backups for Microsoft Hyper-V and Citrix XenServer. Now customers can replicate both VM-level and host-level backups offsite for disaster recovery. It also now supports VMware vSphere 5.1.
- Remote Virtual Standby. This new feature enables customers to automatically replicate image-based backups to an offsite facility and convert them into bootable VMs. In addition to providing businesses with a way to rapidly restore critical systems offsite in the event of a site disaster, this capability enables MSPs to deliver managed services for business continuity.
- Improved Performance. Internal testing has shown that NTFS backup speeds have improved by 43%. Many customers should experience speed improvements which will empower them to deal with ever-shortening backup windows.
- Cascading Failover. For customers with the most stringent continuity requirements, CA ARCserve now offers the ability to replicate servers and their data to multiple onsite and/or remote failover servers. This “cascading failover” approach lets customers and MSPs alike leverage local resources for simple outages, while maintaining remote resources in one or more locations to protect themselves against local or even regional disasters.
- Extended Public Cloud Support. CA Technologies has expanded cloud support for backup migration to Microsoft Windows Azure, Fujitsu Global Cloud and Eucalyptus 3.0 and 3.1 based clouds, as well as Amazon Web Services EC2 for customers in Japan.
- Additional platform support. CA ARCserve r16.5 now provides backup, recovery, replication and high availability for Windows Server 2012/Windows 8 environments, including those using new Microsoft Windows features such as NTFS deduplication, Resilient File Systems (ReFS) and Storage Spaces.
“Organizations looking for a data protection solution that is deep in capability and low-cost from initial purchase to ongoing administration should look no further than CA ARCserve,” said Mike Crest, general manager of Data Management at CA Technologies. “With this release, we have again demonstrated that CA ARCserve is the most flexible, robust and reasonably priced solution available for customers who need to protect their physical and virtual infrastructure, either as an on-premise implementation or in the cloud.”
Delivered under the company’s Agile Development and Release program, CA ARCserve r16.5 builds on enhancements announced in October 2012—which included non-disruptive bare metal recovery (BMR) failback capabilities, simplified solution licensing and pricing, and integration with CA Nimsoft.
To optimize purchasing, CA ARCserve can be licensed monthly on a Managed Capacity basis. Until March 31, 2013, new customers can take advantage of a competitive upgrade promotion which allows them to purchase an unlimited-use Managed Capacity license for their business for the next three years* at a set price, regardless of any organic growth in their storage requirements.
MSPs can obtain CA ARCserve under the newly announced CA ARCserve MSP Licensing Program 3.0, which enables them to build compelling, profitable data protection services with no up-front costs or long-term commitments.
“CA ARCserve is our technology of choice to facilitate backup, replication and high availability in hosted and customer environments” said Neil Finnegan, sales manager at Infrasys Ltd., a UK-based provider of system management, virtualization and IT infrastructure services. “The latest CA ARCserve release adds compelling technical capability and complements the flexible licensing options – which is particularly useful given the increasingly fluid demands of our customers’ virtualized and often dispersed environments.”
*Some exclusions apply. For official rules and promotion details, please visit ARCserve.com.
About CA Technologies
CA Technologies (NASDAQ: CA) provides IT management solutions that help customers manage and secure complex IT environments to support agile business services. Organizations leverage CA Technologies software and SaaS solutions to accelerate innovation, transform infrastructure and secure data and identities, from the data center to the cloud. Learn more about CA Technologies at www.ca.com.
Follow CA Technologies
Copyright © 2013 CA. All Rights Reserved. One CA Plaza, Islandia, N.Y. 11749. Microsoft, Hyper-V, Windows, Windows Azure and Windows Server are registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries. All trademarks, trade names, service marks, and logos referenced herein belong to their respective companies. The information and results illustrated here are based upon the speaker’s experiences with the referenced software product in a variety of environments, which may include production and nonproduction environments. Past performance of the software products in such environments is not necessarily indicative of the future performance of such software products in identical, similar or different environments.
SOURCE: CA Technologies