eCopy And The Health Insurance Portability And Accountability Act (HIPAA)
eCopy is an innovative provider of open and fl exible solutions that rapidly integrate paper-based information into existing business processes and applications.
Numerous industries including legal, healthcare, and fi nancial services use eCopy to easily access, modify, distribute, and share information to add value to their business
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) includes wide-ranging provisions that aim to:
- Guarantee health insurance portability
- Protect patient health information against unauthorized
- Simplify the electronic transfer of medical information
Background: The Security Rule defi nes standards to provide a uniform level of protection for all health information that is stored or transmitted electronically.
The Security Rule mandates a combination of administrative and technical measures to ensure the integrity, confidentiality, and availability of electronic data.
Storing Scanned Documents
Many of the vulnerabilities associated with paper- based patient health information can be reduced or eliminated by moving to electronic document storage. Electronic storage, however, introduces a whole new range of security risks that must be understood and addressed.
eCopy provides several ways to conveniently store paper-based documents as electronic fi les:
- Scan to Desktop lets you scan paper documents to your personal scan inbox and retrieve them using eCopy Desktop. From here you can save them to your local hard drive, a network fi le server, or any one of the many supported document management systems.
- eCopy Quick Connect delivers scanned documents to a network folder or FTP site. It offers versatile fi le naming, index fi le creation, and destination options, with no programming required.