There are a lot of services an MSP can sell its customers, but almost every MSP includes BDR services as one of its core offerings. For this month’s product review, Business Solutions once again turned to MSP Remote Technology Management (RTM). CEO Eric Brown and Technical Manager Kevin Danis tested seven BDR solutions in their Massachusetts test lab over a two-week period, investing more than 40 hours. True to RTM’s conclusion when it tested RMM (remote monitoring and management) products for our January issue, Brown says, “There is no single solution that meets every MSP’s needs perfectly.” To that end, we share highlights of RTM’s tests of the following vendors: Asigra, Axcient, CharTec, Datto, KineticD, StorageCraft, and Unitrends. The MSP met with key product experts from each of the above vendor companies and went through the onboarding process with each one.
1. Do you offer cloud storage?
Yes, we provide geographically independent cloud storage services as an additional backup replication destination.
2. If yes, what is the monthly cost to your partner for file storage?
Basic cloud storage service is 28 cents per GB for MSPs in the U.S.
3. Do you offer virtual machine (VM) functionality in the cloud?
Yes, we offer storage for VM backup images in our cloud. Customers may also virtualize their backups as VMs in the cloud for up to 30 days. We do not consider ourselves a VM hosting service.
4. If yes, what is the monthly cost for VM storage?
Premium cloud storage service, the product service level that provides virtualization functionality, is 69 cents per GB for MSPs in the U.S. This also includes remote file/folder access.
5. How is your product priced?
StorageCraft offers our range of products as either a perpetual license or as an MSP monthly fee, which is then re-packaged under the MSPs customer contract.
6. Are there any other services available with your backup and disaster recovery solution that VARs/MSPs can purchase? If so, please list.
We built our services to already include everything VARs and MSPs need so there are no surprise fees. Specifically, we provide a free monitoring product and a free image management tool. But MSPs may also license an add-on tool for Exchange management and granular mail recovery, file replication options, cloud archiving and recovery, as well as a solution that allows you to pre-stage your backup as a virtual machine before a disaster happens.
7. Do you offer mobile device backup services?
Not at this time, but it is on the roadmap.
8. If yes, which mobile operating systems can you back up?
9. Is there anything different about the cost structure for your mobile backups? If so, please list.
10. What type of direct VM Export do you support?
We support VMware VirtualCenter, Microsoft Hyper-V, Oracle VirtualBox, Citrix XenServer, and Redhat KVM/RHEV.
11. Can your product be purchased as a HaaS (hardware as a service) offering?
Yes, HaaS offerings that leverage StorageCraft technologies are available through Chartec, Datto, eFolder, Intel Hybrid Cloud, and Zenith Infotech.
12. Can your product be purchased as a SaaS (Software as a Service) offering?
Yes, ShadowProtect and StorageCraft Cloud Services are SaaS products. Our MSP program was designed so MSPs can wrap their services around our solutions to offer end-to-end backup and disaster recovery to their customers.
13. What type of local backup does your solution offer: image-based or file-based?
We offer an image-based backup solution.
14. Is there anything else about your backup/restore technology and/or channel program that differentiates your product from your competitors that can be listed succinctly here?
Our management tools are free. Our backup service is the same for every Windows server type (no additional fees for SQL or Exchange servers). We have an aggregated billing rate for cloud storage services (cost is per unit storage, storage can be used across multiple accounts providing cost savings for the MSP). When you choose to replicate to the StorageCraft cloud, all services are included in one low monthly fee.
After reviewing this product, describe your overall assessment.
The StorageCraft solution is a software solution only. The benefit of this is that there is no hardware that you have to purchase to get started. You can also control where you would like to replicate the data. You can choose to replicate the backups to a USB drive, your own data center (using StorageCraft software and an FTP client), or directly to one of their data centers. The pricing structure for StorageCraft is priced per software product. Their pricing for cloud storage is based on only what's used (elastic). If you need full-blown replication with the ability to start a virtual machine in their cloud, it's more expensive but still in line with the other vendors. You also just pay for what you use; you do not have to purchase a block of storage, which is a very nice feature. They would like you to open up a ticket in the MSP portal before you call them. The tickets are categorized on importance with a call back time. There is a support number published in the welcome guide when you sign up as a partner.